The Student News Site of East Islip High School

The Broadcaster

The Broadcaster

The Broadcaster

Book Review: Caraval by Stephanie Garber

Recently, I’ve finished reading a young adult fantasy fiction series called Caraval written by Stephanie Garber.  The books in this series are mind bending and filled with plot twists.  This series is a trilogy that consists of Caraval, Legendary, and Finale.  There are also two spin-off books: Once Upon a Broken Heart and The Ballad of Never After. It’s best to read them in that order.

In Caraval, two sisters, Scarlett and Tella, leave their cruel father and the island which they’ve lived on for their entire lives after they received tickets to see Caraval – a magical game that travels around the world.  If you win you receive a prize from Legend; the magician organizer of Caraval.  Little did they know, Tella would be kidnapped, and if Scarlett can find where Legend has her she’ll win her sister and the prize.  People said Caraval was just a game, however Scarlett finds herself struggling to separate fiction from reality. 

Overall, all five books in this series were absolutely amazing and beautifully written. Two of my favorite quotes from the first book are, “Hope is a powerful thing.  Some say it’s a different breed of magic altogether” and “Every person has the power to change their fate if they are brave enough to fight for what they desire more than anything.”

Every person has the power to change their fate if they are brave enough to fight for what they desire more than anything.

— Nigel, Caraval

One more quote that stuck out to me in the second book is, “Most of my life, I’ve romanticized death.  I used to love the idea of something being so tremendous that it was worth dying for.  But I was wrong.  I think the most magnificent things are worth living for.”  Furthermore, Stephanie Garbers writing is so detailed that when you read her books you feel like you’ve entered the magical world of Caraval.  You get to know every character extremely well; each character has a remarkably different personality.  For instance, Scarlett is more timid and self-aware, while Tella is daring and craves life changing experiences.  I especially love Caraval because I have a younger sister, and we’re opposites much like Scarlett and Tella, so I can relate to the unbreakable bond they have.  Of course, this series wouldn’t end on a cliffhanger. 

If you check out Stephanie Garbers Instagram, you’ll see she is busy writing a sixth book to add to her phenomenal series!

About the Contributor
Angelina Codispoti
Angelina Codispoti, Staff Writer
Ang loves reading, writing, and sharing her thoughts with her peers. One day she hopes to open and design her own bookstore.