The Student News Site of East Islip High School

The Broadcaster

The Broadcaster

The Broadcaster

REVIEW: Catch Me If You Can

After seeing this musical, I won’t miss another school production!
REVIEW: Catch Me If You Can

On the weekend of March 27th, the EIHS Music Department performed the musical Catch Me If You Can. The play went extremely well. The cast and stage crew were phenomenal. It felt almost like an actual Broadway musical. Let me just say that Brendon Kroupa and Tristan Hearth played their roles extremally well and that you could see the screen chemistry each one of them had. Let me just give you a brief summary of the play.

Catch Me If You Can is a musical based on Frank Abagnale’s semi autobiographical novel of the same name. The book follows a 16-year old Frank committing crimes of cash fraud and how he almost got away with it. He not only committed cash fraud but also identity fraud which became the main plot of the book. The FBI went on multiple searches looking for him. He eventually does get caught and is locked away. The play also features some points in his love life and family life. He didn’t come from a great home and his love moved on from him which was pretty upsetting. The play ends with us knowing that he would come from jail a new man and instead of living a life of crime, he actually started to help the FBI with their cases on forgery and bank telling.

Now for the review: I give this play a 4 out of 5 stars.

The reason for this is although the play was great and the story was too, there were some parts I really didn’t like. I didn’t really like the fact that his love left him at the end of the show. Also sometimes with musicals I sometimes get lost with what’s happening so throughout the first half of the play I didn’t really understand much.

However, the music score was really good. I love jazz and pop music, which they used a lot of. Brendan does have an amazing singing voice that I believe if he still does this he could pursue a career in Broadway. So could Tristan! He sang and danced at the same time so that’s impressive. The backup dancers did well to. Stage crew also did a nice job with the building and move things around on set. I know they probably had a nice time demolishing the set once it was finished. They’ve been working on it since winter so that deconstruction was probably a nice relief.

If I’m being honest with you I’ve never been to our school plays. But seeing this one, I for sure am going to see the next one. I finally understand that we have a great music department and drama department and I hope it stays for as long as it can. Make sure to give special thanks to Mrs. Bethany Affelt (director), Mr. Neske (conductor), and Mrs. Rodriguez and the other cosmetology students as well.

Aside from Brandon and Tristan; here are some other great performances:

• Lorelai Mucciolo (Brenda Strong)
  • Aidan Sanders (Roger Strong)
  • And Gabriela Rivera and the other FBI dancers

Also make sure to give a huge thanks Lucas Atunes, Kaitlyn McCall, Ian Schineder and other members of stage crew as well. And Emma Johnson, Patrick Vasquez, James Kelly, Jack Wodicka, Kevin Huang and the rest of the pit orchestra, for providing the music.

About the Contributor
Nicholas Williams
Nicholas Williams, Staff Writer
Nicholas Williams is a senior at East Islip High School. He covers reviews, current events and senior year topics for The Broadcaster. He’s also in the Yearbook Club and might make the swim team this year. He likes swimming, reading, watching YouTube and playing video games.