The Student News Site of East Islip High School

The Broadcaster

The Broadcaster

The Broadcaster

East Islip “Reawakens” Fashion

East Islip’s Fashion 2 class gives their interpretation of this year’s Met Gala theme

In March, the Fashion 2 class took a twist on fashion and used teachers as their croquis. A croquis is a human form template that fashion designers use to create clothing. 

The fashion class had to follow the theme of the 2024 Met Gala. The Met Gala or The Met Ball is an annual fundraiser held for the benefit of the Metropolitan Museum of Art’s Costume Institute in New York City. The Theme this year was “A garden of time and sleeping beauty: reawakening fashion.” Many students took the theme literally and drew from fairytales like Sleeping Beauty, while others interpreted the theme as formal sleepwear.

What makes this even more interesting is art teachers, math teachers, and even administrators were used to make these pieces. 

To start this project students were asked to pick two to three teachers they would want to design for. Emails were then sent out to the teachers to see if they wanted to participate. Then Mrs. Gibbons took photos of the teachers that participated. Those photos were then turned into black and white croquis, which then can be used as templates for students’ designs. Students were encouraged to choose materials that would reflect the personality of their chosen faculty member. For example, Mr. Bernard’s cape is made up of old behavior referral sheets and Mr. Reineking’s jacket was made of broken rulers.

Fashion 2 teacher Mrs. Gibbons had this to say about the project: “Students had to demonstrate their understanding of illustrating textures on a form through rendering and collage.”

The Met Gala showcases all of the significant fashion designers and current fashion trends in a very public forum. These outfits being made by students represent how couture fashion designers work by designing one specific outfit for one specific client with expensive materials and intentional exclusivity.