The Student News Site of East Islip High School

The Broadcaster

The Broadcaster

The Broadcaster

Running: How to Keep Your Life on Track

When most people think of running they see it as a hard and unpleasant task. However it is the complete opposite.

Mental Effects
When I first started running I automatically saw an improvement in my mental health. Running can give you time to think on your own without interruptions. Getting outside can help change your mindset when it is needed. Running can also just be a safe haven to people and be used as a comfort zone when things are tough. However, the other mental effect people don’t talk about with running is the doubt of being able to do it in the beginning. It can be very tough at first and could make you not feel motivated to do it but the end results are truly worth it.

Physical Effects
Usually when you start running you can feel the mental effects prior to the physical effects. At first, you start to feel more clean within your body as if the running detoxed the negativity. The running can also lead you to be very sore, so make sure to stretch before and after to lessen the soreness. If you get injured or a part of your body is hurting make sure to ice it and get rest instead of pushing yourself. After multiple weeks you will start to notice a difference within your muscle mass and realize that your leg muscles such as your quadriceps, hamstrings, and calves grew. Results can definitely help motivate a runner to do it even more. However, it takes time and do not be discouraged if you do not get immediate results.

“Runners High”
A “runner’s high” is the feeling you get when you run and you feel like you can run for miles straight. It motivates the person to run more since it is such a fun and rewarding feeling to get. Most people begin running even more once they experience their first “runners high.” Royal Society of Chemistry attributes this feeling to the endorphins released when running that attach themselves to the same cell receptors as painkillers which causes the brain to limit the pain while running.

Good Ways to Get Into Running
Running is sometimes difficult to get into, so even just going for walks when it is nice out can motivate you to get outside. Even just running at a slow pace for as long as you can is progress! It is a slow process, but once you start running you will be guaranteed to be glad you did. Another helpful way to start running is to pick out a fun outfit you like. Whenever I go for runs in cute outfits I always have the best time! One more way to help is to go for a run with friends. When you are with people they encourage you and motivate you to continue with your journey. This can make it so much more enjoyable because you are with people you love while trying something hard.

East Islip Track Team
From a personal perspective, the East Islip Varsity track team has helped motivate me to find love in running. The team acts as a second family and it created friendships that I would not have made if I did not join the team. The girls on the team encourage myself and others to overcome doubts and accomplish goals. Coach Reynolds is a very supportive and understanding leader who believes in us and pushes us to improve. Both Ms. Barnard (spring) and Ms. O’Connor (winter) help to create a hard-working and successful team. Since the sport has so many different events there are many areas to flourish in if some are not your forte. The diversity of the team allows for everyone to support each other in different ways.

A Senior’s Point of View
Senior track star, Jackie Scandale, shared her experience with running. “As someone who’s ran for East Islip Varsity Winter and Spring Track for four years and cross country for two, I can say I’ve learned a ton. Not only as a runner but also as a person. Running has essentially shaped me into the person I am today. It was a source of self discovery along with personal growth. It has had its ups and downs but ultimately became a safe space for me, and in a sense an escape at times to clear my mind. It not only was a huge benefit on my physical health but also my mental health. Above all, running gave me a second family. From the amazing coaches I’ve had to the teammates that became my best friends. These are people who were constantly there for me and supported me through it all, cheered me on whether it was my best day or my worst and always were an outlet for me to go to. Running has made me who I am today and will forever be something I can always turn to.”

About the Contributor
Ashley Williams
Ashley Williams, Staff Writer
Ashley Williams is a freshman at East Islip High School. Her hobbies include writing, reading, bike riding, baking, playing soccer, and running track. She also loves listening to music. She very excited to be part of The Broadcaster!