The Student News Site of East Islip High School

The Broadcaster

The Broadcaster

The Broadcaster

Senior Year Doesn’t Have to Mean Stress

(Photo: Christina Norris / VoxATL)

Seniors of East Islip – we finally did it! This is finally our last year at EI and then we’re off to do whatever we want. It’s crazy to think that twelve years ago we started school here. All I will say about that time is that those were better and simpler times. But since it is the present, let’s talk about now. Specifically, college and what to do during this last year of high school.

By now, most of us (don’t worry if you didn’t, yet! You still can), have at least applied to or thought about a college or maybe have considered something else like a trade school. By the time this article is published, we should be a few weeks away from getting our acceptance letters. This can be VERY stressful. Yes, college and any next steps in life are important. Yes, they help us get closer to what we want to do with our lives. Now I won’t sit here and lie to you, saying that you shouldn’t feel stressed, because I’m just as if not, more stressed than anybody, but it’s also important to remember that we also can have some fun with this year as well.

Just because this is senior year, doesn’t mean we have to stop having fun. We still have many more months to make the transition from high school to college worthwhile and fun. Take me for example. I’m in some clubs and made a school team (swim) for the first time here, and I’m really enjoying it. We’re really good and we have fun. Just try to make the year count before it ends. Join a club or try a sport. Trust me, when I write that, you’ll like it and be glad that you tried something new.

This is our last year here. We’re taking the last steps of childhood and moving on into adulthood. Now I truly don’t mean to sound sentimental and all that, but my lesson to you is there’s not a lot of time left and this is a great time to try new things. This year or what’s left of it, should be used to do something meaningful and impactful for you and the school. Just remember this – this is our chance to leave a lasting mark on the school that we’ve been in for 12 years. Take it!

About the Contributor
Nicholas Williams
Nicholas Williams, Staff Writer
Nicholas Williams is a senior at East Islip High School. He covers reviews, current events and senior year topics for The Broadcaster. He’s also in the Yearbook Club and might make the swim team this year. He likes swimming, reading, watching YouTube and playing video games.