The Student News Site of East Islip High School

The Broadcaster

The Broadcaster

The Broadcaster

The Best Time to Show EI Pride: Homecoming 2023

Homecoming…the most thrilling event of the school year to many students. You may ask, what is homecoming? Homecoming is an annual school celebration that is entirely based on school pride, bringing students together, and winning a football game at our home field. Here’s everything you need to know about the week and the events:

Spirit Week

To convey EI Pride, students and staff of the high school participate in a spirit week from October 16th to 20th. Everyday there are different themes on what to dress up as. Monday was “Country vs. Country Club,” Tuesday was “Rhyme Without Reason,” Wednesday was “Ken and Barbie,” Thursday was “Adam Sandler Day,” and Friday was EI Pride Day where everyone  wore school colors. Students are encouraged to dress up and be creative for a build up to homecoming weekend. There is a competition in which each grade participates in who showed the most EI pride by dressing up – the winners will be announced at halftime of the football game!

Pep Rally

Pep Rally starts off the Homecoming weekend. Pep Rally is on Friday, October 20th. This event is about being a proud EI student and showing our appreciation and support to athletes in Fall sports, musicians in the band, and students in clubs. All fall sport teams are announced, and senior athletes and senior band members are called out to thank them for their dedication and hard work. At the Pep Rally, the student body gets to participate in fun mini-games organized by the Class Councils and the Student Government.

Homecoming Dance

The Second Annual Homecoming Dance is on the night of the Pep Rally, Friday, October 20th from  7:00pm to 10:00 pm. The HoCo dance will take place in the East Islip High School cafeteria with EI Pride donuts, cookies, chips, candy, water, assorted drinks, a dj, and a photo station. Make sure to come dressed to impress! 

Every year and every year [Student Government] works hard to make improvements to Homecoming. It’s really such a great week at EIHS. It’s so exciting!

— Mrs. Boucher, Student Government Co-Advisor

Homecoming Parade

The Homecoming Parade is on Saturday, October 21st, at 10:00 a.m. The Parade starts at the Bank of America on Main Street and ends at the East Islip Fire Department. It will include over 40 school and community organizations walking in the parade. In order to celebrate the homecoming parade, the student government members painted many business’ windows with “HOME OF EI PRIDE” in the colors red, white, and black, our school districts colors. 

Homecoming Game

The Homecoming game is on Saturday, October 21st! Be there loud and proud at 1:00pm when the football team takes on the Tornadoes of Harborfields. There will also be a food truck festival in the field next to the football field. The food trucks that will be at the game are Mattitaco, Maui Chophouse, Tasty Taxi, Groovy Cookie, Shrimpy’s, and Biggies Hero’s. The theme for this football game is EI Pride so do your best to show your East Islip pride by wearing anything red. This event is a great day for students and families to watch an entertaining and amusing football game, and see the varsity cheerleaders cheer for our team.  

Student Government Co-Advisor Mrs. Boucher said,“Every year and every year [Student Government] works hard to make improvements to Homecoming. It’s really such a great week at EIHS. It’s so exciting!”

About the Contributors
Alison Coppinger
Alison Coppinger, Staff Writer
Alison Coppinger is a 14 year old freshman at East Islip High School. Ali, as her friends call her, always loves being around kids, appreciates being in nature, and has always had a dedication to music. She has been a competitive dancer since third grade and was on the track team through middle school and is looking to continue that throughout her high school years. Ali is very amused at what this year is going to bring in writing and is thrilled to start writing for The Broadcaster.
Ashley Williams
Ashley Williams, Staff Writer
Ashley Williams is a freshman at East Islip High School. Her hobbies include writing, reading, bike riding, baking, playing soccer, and running track. She also loves listening to music. She very excited to be part of The Broadcaster!