Categories:

First Time Going to Summer Camp?

Don’t worry – I got you! Here are five tips and tricks to surviving your first year at summer camp.
Arrival day
Arrival day

Going to sleep away camp for the first time can be super scary because you’re miles away from home and you have no idea who anyone is. Here are a few tips and tricks that have helped me and will definitely help you survive your first summer away from home!

Go the get togethers before the session starts 

You probably think you are going to be in an awkward situation when you go to get togethers before camp starts and the truth is you will be, but only for the first few minutes because everyone is in the same situation as you. If you have never been to sleepaway camp these get-togethers are hangouts before camp so you can get to know everyone you’re going to be spending your summers with. When you start to talk to these strangers they will eventually become friends that you hope will be in your bunk/cabin. Going to these gets you a feel for everyone’s personalities and the type of people that you want to engage with over the summer. 

Put yourself out there

Trust me – it’s really hard to try and engage with people you have never met before, but in the end it will be so worth it when you have friends that last a lifetime. Branching out will also make your experience ten times better because you’ll have people to gossip and play card games with. You never know how many people you can share so many interests with – people that you’ll never know about unless you engage. It’s going to feel weird being at a place where being crazy is normal, but my best piece of advice is to be crazy along with everyone else. You will probably think screaming during meal times and wearing tutus on a random Thursday is crazy but those are the memories that will last you a lifetime, so partake in those activities so you can have these moments to look back on. Here are links to Tyler Hill Camp and Timber Lake Camp to show how crazy staff and campers can get.

Don’t miss out on any new opportunities

When it comes the time of the day for electives to be called – the part of the schedule where you can pick what to do – and you have never tried waterskiing or the swing and you are hesitant about going because you are nervous, you should 100% go because those are the things that you are going to want to spend the rest of your summer participating in.

Don’t be afraid to seek help

Your counselors will always be there to help you whether you’re feeling homesick or you’re having an argument with your best friend. Don’t be afraid to reach out to them because they are there to help and they will guide you through your summer. If you don’t reach out to them, your problems will most likely not be resolved.  

Cherish every moment

Soon enough you’ll eventually reach the age where you won’t qualify as a camper anymore because your years have passed and flew by. Really try to appreciate the small things because the summer will go by in the blink of an eye and you’ll wish you could do it all over again and you don’t want to have any regrets.

SUMMER⭐⭐⭐⭐
Happy Summer!!!!!!

About the Contributor
Madison Greene
Madison Greene, Staff Writer
Madison Greene is a varsity tennis player and is a hardworking scholar. She is new to the high school as she is a freshman. She loves watching tv shows if she doesn't have years worth of homework. She also loves watching sitcoms and going on walks into town with friends. Traveling is one of her favorite things and a few places she has been to are Portugal , Austria, France, London, and Amsterdam.