Categories:

REVIEW: Invincible Shield by Judas Priest

These Songs Are So Good, They’re Giving People a “Panic Attack”!
Cover of Judas Priest's latest album Invincible Shield.
Cover of Judas Priest’s latest album Invincible Shield.

Hello, everyone! It’s your Metal Man Peter Gernand, bringing home a trophy with the new album released on March 6th by English Metal band Judas Priest. The band currently consists of front man Rob Halford, guitarists Glenn Tipton and Richie Faulkner, Scott Travis on drums, and bassist Ian Hill. Judas Priest were highly popular within the best days of music in the late 20th century (1970-80’s) and released multiple classic metal albums including Sad Wings of Destiny (1976), Screaming for Vengeance (1982), and Painkiller (1990). Now they’re back at it again with an intriguing one called Invincible Shield. So basically, I’m going all-out critic for this one, track-by-track HONEST REVIEW with song times, a brief description, which will result in a precise and accurate rating on a scale of 1 to 100.

01. “Panic Attack” (5:28)

The primary lead single to promote the album, the song starts off with a highly spacey intro that is decently intriguing, then the guitar and drum work escalates into a complete blowout where Rob is singing about injustice and corruption giving people…well you guessed it, a “Panic Attack”! (he sounds like he’s having one screeching the title). Overall the song is one of the many intriguing and epic openers of Judas Priest’s career. 94/100 on my part.

02. “The Serpent and the King” (4:21)

One of the speediest numbers on the album with a Tipton speed solo to match, this involves a more doom-metal akin section before the final verse/chorus which is screeched and sung while the lyrics concerning man’s actions correlating with man’s fate are some of the most intriguing on the album, making this another deserving single to be released from this album. 87/100 on my part.

03. “Invincible Shield” (6:21)

The longest number on the album in all honesty might be my favorite track on this album and one of the best songs since their classics even on 1990’s Painkiller. The title track wastes no time getting to business with an epic guitar riff and even more epic drumming that instantaneously gets you headbanging. The intensely anthemic chorus is sure to get anybody feeling the overflowing classic vibe within this technically modern metal album by this classic band. 96/100 on my part.

04. “Devil In Disguise” (4:42)

The first track of this album where things begin to relent slightly, as this is a  slower-paced track on the album. It gives way towards new elements, such as more haunting melodies and intriguing transitions, which are both utilized on this song. It is admittedly lacking slightly compared to some other implementations of these techniques throughout the album, but a deserving and solid number nonetheless.  81/100 on my part.

05. “Gates to Hell” (4:36)

(Yes, there really is a minor slur in this song, don’t mind it; their work not mine); anyways this is a pretty solid song on the album as well where the album continues its steady vibe with a little more intensity from the previous 82/100 on my part.

06. “Crown of Horns” (5:39)

This is the point where the album generally reaches and all-time crawl with the tempos (not necessarily a bad thing). This song generally starts off with a very classic-doom metal like intro, similar to their earlier albums around the late 70’s, where the heavy and emotional verses and chorus then ascend into a wild Glenn Tipton solo, making this song arguably the most progressive number on the album. 88/100 on my part.

07. “As God is My Witness” (4:36)

Another decently mid-paced track on this album, this song encapsulates the power of faith and religious perseverance. It has a galloping thrash-metal resembling section near the second chorus leading into one of the best guitar solos on the album before resulting to the final epic chorus, which easily makes this one of my favorites on the album. 93/100 on my part.

08. “Trial by Fire”(4:21)

The second lead single off this album following “Panic Attack,” giving the public a solid firsthand taste of the overall mystical aesthetic enveloping the second half of the album with another intriguing guitar intro with a marching, intriguing rhythm. Not the strongest number on the album, but a decent warm-up point nonetheless. 81/100 on my part.

09. “Escape from Reality” (4:21)

Another track with a pace similar to the previous with another high-pitched Halford chorus similar to the second track except with slightly less of an effect. The song can get real trippy at times with Richie’s guitar section which creates a unique effect on this song in collaboration with the lyrics describing a dark departure from the real world, making this a heavy one in terms of songwriting.   84/100 on my part.

10. “Sons of Thunder” (3:03)

Definitely one of the more energetic numbers with Scott’s drumming, including more anthemic lyrics with a lot of electricity references. With another wicked Tipton guitar solo right before the final chorus, this classical choral influence is highly enjoyable and thundering.  89/100 on my part.

11. “Giants in the Sky” (5:05)

This is the main closing track and the conclusion to the Invincible Shield. Its highly intriguing peaceful ambient section near the end definitely builds into the dynamics of this album making this another one of my personal favorites among these absolute bangers which makes an appropriate closer for this definite breakthrough album. 90/100 on my part.

FINAL THOUGHTS: Overall, this album is just one huge banger where it does admittedly drop barely in quality due to musical repetition near the end; however the general quality of the songwriting and lyrics in particular are intriguing and consistent quite frankly unlike pretty much any Judas Priest album released in the 21st century. Its anthemic vocals and epic drumming and guitar sections making this a essential for anyone into modern Priest, as well as quality modern music. Anyways, it’s Metal Man Peter Gernand signing off for now and wishing people with solid taste in music the best in life!

About the Contributor
Peter Gernand
Peter Gernand, Staff Writer
Peter Gernand is a sophomore at East Islip High School. He intends to get involved in as many extracurricular activities as he can handle including writing for The Broadcaster, since he has a desire to improve his writing skills. You can see him swiftly pacing throughout the halls to go to his classses because he's ready to learn adn obtain an over 90 GPA throughout his high school years. His dream job is to become a meteorologist. Peter is also involved in Student Government, SADD, Literary Magazine, Class of 2027, and Track.